Friday, January 29, 2016

Portrait Winner — Kristi

Kristi
Colored Pencil
2016


In 2015, during my 365 Days of Art, I selected one random winner per quarter to paint their portrait. This beauty is Kristi. I met her while living in Boise at her hair salon, Red Betty's Hair House. It was always easy to sit in her chair and chat. And, it was a treat to go to her eclectic, colorful shop. The thing that always sticks in my mind about her is just how down-to-earth, creative, and kind she is. She doesn't sling BS. She's a mom, a wife, a small business owner, and friend.  

Since I have done a couple different portraits of her I wanted to get more creative with this version. Really, I wanted to push myself! I started with a photo of her I liked. (These glasses are just SO cool! I HAD to draw them.) Since her hair has changed a bit (she had dark hair in the photo) I decided to "go for it." As a hairdresser she changes her look up occasionally, so I gave her a trendy braid. I gave her a hibiscus flower to keep it feminine and a bit retro. I also wanted to focus on on things that make her "Red Betty," such as shears, combs, and hair, of course.

Hopefully, she doesn't mind my taking liberties. But this WAS a lot of fun. I really enjoyed getting the chance to spend more time working on this one. I am contemplating taking this image to my my show in March. Do you think it would make a good addition to my Signature show?




No comments:

Post a Comment